The Old Palatine Church The Shrine of Lutheranism in the Mohawk Valley Founded 1749 – Erected 1770 Located on Bypass of Route 5, Between Nelliston and St. Johnsville (At the intersection of Route 5 and Palatine Church Road)
The Old Palatine Church is one of the oldest churches in the Mohawk Valley. Lutheran Palatine Germans built it in 1770 using limestone taken from the creek nearby. The construction cost $155,000 in 2008 dollars with funding donated primarily by the Wagner, Nellis, Reber and Hess families. The Spire was funded entirely by six members of the Nellis family, who also gave the gilded bronze rooster on top. Where we are located.